Sunday, January 13, 2008
An exercise in copywriting

European champion triathlete Olly Freeman is sponsored by Mazda. As a result, he is quoted in advertorials for Mazda cars in men's magazines. The articles are about training for a triathlon, and the challenge he faces. But then the corporate messaging hits you like you've just been run over by a sports SUV with a 2.3 DISI turbo engine that produces 260ps (whatever that means)...

"My sport gives me the mentality of constantly striving for excellence and that transfers to everything in my life," says Freeman. "It's especially true when choosing a car, because with all the travelling to and from training and race locations, driving is like a fourth discipline. With an exciting drive and plenty of room in the back for my triathlon kit, the Mazda CX-7 has everything I need from a car."

Subtle.