Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Outraged of Bristol



Ellen in the LEWIS PR Bristol office was humiliated when trying to buy a bottle of wine at her local branch of Threshers. Unsurprisingly, it made the Bristol Evening Post.

Two points: One, Ellen looks about 15.

And two, she was going to drink the wine.

But there is still no excuse for poor customer service.

Does this Bristol woman look old enough to buy alcohol?

Does this Bristol woman look old enough to buy alcohol?
Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 07:00

A 23-year-old Bristol woman says she was humiliated when a member of staff at an off-licence asked other customers whether she looked old enough to buy alcohol.

Ellen Spenceley said she felt "angry" when she not only had her age and ID questioned by the assistant manager at Thresher at the top of Whiteladies Road, but was then scrutinised by other customers.

Miss Spenceley, of Redland Grove, said: "I went in to buy a bottle of white wine for cooking – I wasn't even going to drink it – and the man serving asked me if I had any ID.

"I said 'yes' and showed him my photo driving licence but he said he didn't believe it was mine.

"The picture is six years old and I do look young, but I'm 23. I graduated from Cardiff University two years ago.

"He asked me if I had my passport but I didn't, so I showed him my bank card which had my name on it but he still wouldn't serve me.


blog it