Thursday, October 08, 2009
Spotify: Why I ended up buying

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about why I'd never buy Spotify. But after a bit of agonising and envious glances at Spotify working on my friends' iPhones, I took the plunge.

"But why?" I hear you ask. Well...

1. I can't travel without Frightened Rabbit.

I had my motorbike nicked (yeah, thanks) so am now getting the tube to work. Thanks to the free version of Spotify my music tastes had moved on, but my music collection hadn't.

2. The iPhone app is ohmygod awesome.

It looks great, it works great, it feels great. The only problem is that you need to keep it running to hear music. No more playing Peggle on the Tube (but at least I'm reading books again).

3. The adverts got to me.

I'm sure those ads where people leave messages on the Spotify voicemail are designed to force free users to upgrade. Better that than set fire to their computers, or rip their own ears off.

4. I can change my mind again.

It's only a tenner. That's three drinks, for crying out loud. With no subscription, I can cancel my payment with no notice. Like if I get a Palm Pre, or something.

5. Music needs to change.

I don't like the thought that, without support, Spotify might be dead within a year. Spotify is a shining beacon of compromise and normality in a sea of confusion and irrational behaviour*.

OK, OK.

It was mainly reason one.

* I'm looking at you, Lily.