Thursday, December 03, 2009
What did Tiger really mean?

As a journalist / copywriter / PR person I find it fascinating how public figures formulate their press statements. Following the coverage of an incident involving his 4x4, a tree, a golf club and a couple of alleged affairs, Tiger Woods released his statement yesterday via his website.

Here are my views on his language. Overall, it's a carefully crafted piece that admits nothing, consistently reinforces his family values, appeals to the public for support, and blames the press for everything.

"I have let my family [starts with this point to make sure people realise they are the most important thing, first use of word 'family'] down and I regret those transgressions [biblical term appeals to US audience / also means 'violation of the norm' suggests it was out of character] with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values [again, underlining these weren't really him] and the behavior my family [second use of 'family'] deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect [infers that people thought he was perfect, reinforces that his goal is to return to form]. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors [criticism of press coverage] with my family [third use of 'family']. Those feelings should be shared by us alone [criticism of press coverage]."

Click to zoom in on the rest of my markups.