Monday, June 07, 2010
'Interactive' to take 21% of total marketing budget by 2014 (except at Rolls Royce)

Just seen this in a Forrester report released yesterday:
Interactive marketing will near $55 billion and represent 21% of all marketing spend in 2014 as marketers shift dollars away from traditional media and toward search marketing, display advertising, email marketing, social media, and mobile marketing. This cannibalization of traditional media will bring about a decline in overall advertising budgets, death to obsolete agencies, a publisher awakening, and a new identity for Yahoo!.
I was chatting to a friend (and PR manager) last week so said 'I'm under no illusion that my job will be completely different in three years time'. It certainly seems that the hiatus we saw last year in large companies rolling out social media is over. Everyone I speak to is just getting their plans into gear again - so expect 2011 to be big.

Oh, except for Rolls Royce.

Director of Communications Peter Morgan recently said:
"I think that it is a waste of money to invest in online tracking systems for social media alerting you to problems. Every problem that has come across my desk has travelled too fast for that early warning system to be of help to me."