Thursday, February 10, 2011
Does anyone actually think webOS will catch on?

I don't.

[Disclosure: I work for Waggener Edstrom, who works with Microsoft, which makes competing operating systems Windows and Windows Phone 7. Waggener Edstrom also works with HTC, which makes a number of handsets that use Google's competing operating system Android, as well as Microsoft's operating system Windows Phone 7. I personally own an iPhone, an iPad, and an iMac, which I bought with my own money. I used to own a Palm Pre, which sucked, so I took it back to the shop after a week. I also used to own an HTC Desire, which was OK I suppose, but I sold it when Orange's terrible 3G signal pissed me off to such a degree that I sold all my modern gadgets and started living in 1998. Oh, talking of Orange, Waggener Edstrom also works with T-Mobile, a competing mobile network offering to Orange. Apart from in the UK, where they have teamed up to create Everything Everywhere. End of disclosure. I think.]

OK, OK. This post was really about blog disclosures. So here's the question:

In a world where brands are more interlinked than ever, and we are all influenced indirectly by a multitude of fragments of information rather than a single stream, and companies continue to adopt one-to-one interaction over traditional advertising, can a blogger really disclose everything?

(PS. Here's an interesting attempt by Rick W. Vanover to do just that.)