Thursday, February 17, 2011
Lil Wayne takes the biscuit



If I was in the marketing department at Oreo's right now, I'd be very annoyed. Just hours after their coordinated (and, I'm guessing expensive) setting of the Guinness World Record for most Facebook 'likes' of a single post in 24 hours, Lil Wayne beats it. By miles.

There are two things to learn here:

1. It's very possible that your social media idea isn't as good as you think it is, and that someone will come along and ruin it.

2. A rapper just beat a biscuit to a Facebook World Record. I think we should all leave this planet immediately before things get really weird.

Please also note the quote from Lil Wayne's fantastically-named digital stylist, Mazy Kazerooni:

"I want to people to think Bieber, Gaga and Lil Wayne. The traffic we do is ridiculous and nobody really knows."

Which makes it pretty obvious from this that the stunt was a coordinated attack against Oreos. Seems a little unfair to me - but at least the biscuit still got a chance to collect his certificate, bless 'im.