Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Dropbox fail - does it really matter?



I was initially shocked at the news that personal online storage service Dropbox had such a bad security fail over the weekend, leaving everyone's personal data open to prying eyes for a few hours.

But then I thought about the reality of the way people might use it, so had did a quick analysis of my own Dropbox content. Here goes:

71 photos of me on holiday in Antigua
16 photos of me visiting relatives in Bournemouth
18 photos of me on holiday in Paris
9 photos of me on holiday in New York
13 videos of me singing (badly) at Lucky Voice
3 sarcastic faxes to Orange
12 random logos I created for blogs I haven't launched yet
5 funny pictures of colleagues
2 scans of me in Wired and Call Centre Focus
Some incriminating but not threatening screengrabs of IM sessions with colleagues (saved for a rainy day)
My personal to-do list
The minutes from my last residents' association meeting
My monthly household spending budget
The full HTML code for PRGeek.net
My agency's creds deck
My Microsoft Office serial number
Some draft guidelines for engaging with social media
My novel (incomplete)

Now, the Dropbox screwup is certainly going to make me think twice about saving anything sensitive in there (client information, spreadsheets containing by bank passwords, naked pictures etc.), but looking at the way I currently use it, I'm not that worried if someone has a bit of a root around.

(To be honest, I'd be more worried about the snooper, as it's very possible that they'd see me in beachwear.)

How do you use your Dropbox, and how will you change? (And if you don't have Dropbox, do you still want an invite?)