Monday, March 12, 2012
TED talk takes a turn for the tacky



I originally liked the idea for this alternative TED talk, but then it started to fill me with a feeling of disappointment. I know it's cool to mess with the mundane, but the problem here is that TED
isn't mundane.

The speaker was billed as the head of a startup using crowdsourced solar panel technology to improve healthcare, and if I'd been there I would've been looking forward to it. Instead, people got five minutes of grown-ups messing about in leotards. The full story is here.

I've seen so many inspirational and enjoyable TED talks (like this one, this one, and my all-time favourite one), that I find this stunt a bit disappointing. If there had been a point to it, maybe I'd have enjoyed it more. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for grown-ups messing about, but I'd rather they did it to alleviate formality in an overly-formal situation, or to create awareness of a cause.

Maybe just creating more awareness of TED was a good reason to do it.

What do you think?